Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, formerly known as Willingdon Hospital, was established by the British for their staff and had only 54 beds. After independence, its control was shifted to New Delhi Municipal Committee.
In 1954, its control was again transferred to the Central Government of Independent India.
The hospital has grown over the years and is currently having about 984 beds, spread over in 30 acres of land. It caters to the population of New Delhi and Central District, apart from patients from other areas and even from out side Delhi. It is having 71 beds in a Nursing Home for the C.G.H.S beneficiaries, including Maternity Nursing Home.
This Hospital is the authorised referral hospital for the CGHS beneficiary patients. Hospital has a Nursing Home for the eligible CGHS Beneficiaries. In addition, Hospital has special OPDs for the CGHS patients in department of Medicine and General Surgery. All the facilities in the Hospital are free for CGHS beneficiaries. Specialist doctors of this hospital in various specialties visit various CGHS dispensaries of Delhi on specified days for on the spot consultation.